9.24.2012

Blog Attraction


Why does anyone care about what I have to say?  A question I have been asking myself lately as I have been struggling to keep up with my blog.  I decided to take a step back and start thinking about why I care about what other bloggers have to say.  It became very clear to me that blogs and men are not all that different.  When I was single, there were a few factors that determined how much I liked a guy.  Those same factors qualify to blogs as well.

Humor. One of the most attractive qualities in a man, for me, is humor. I've found I feel the same way about blogs.  If a guy genuinely has made me laugh on a date (pity laughs do not count), chances are I went out with him again. If I smile during your post, I will follow. If I laugh out loud, I'm a dedicated reader forever. For-Ev-Ver!

Honesty.  Since reentering the dating world after my divorce, I became a word vomitter.  I've never been one for surprises, so I guess subconsciously I didn't want to surprise the guy.  "Hi I'm Ashley.  I'm divorced. I am an only child from a nontraditional family. I am allergic to peanuts. I love sunflowers and I have giant feet."  Okay usually it didn't come out quite like that...usually.  I always appreciate guys putting the messy stuff upfront. I don't want you to put on a show for me.  Same goes for bloggers.  I love to read about the good and the bad.  Your challenges make me less hard on myself for my own.  However, if all your posts are about how shitty your life is, I start to pull away.  There has to be a balance. 

Happiness.  I like a man who is happy and who makes me happy.  I like a man who inspires me to be a better version of who I already am.  If your blog makes your life look seemingly perfect, I'm absolutely addicted.  I love reading about peoples happiness.   If you have that sometimes annoying ability to look at everything with a glass half full perspective, I'm on board. Why? Does it make me feel inadequate?  Does it make me hate my own life?  No.  Sometimes I like to feel that little green monster pinching me in the arm.  I recognise envy as an opportunity to make my life even better by reconstructing the source for myself.  I think it's okay to be inspired by someone else's life and want to make some of their joys yours.   Jealous of her travels around the world?  Start saving.  Jealous of her happy relationship? Examine your own.  Jealous of her great style?  Use her posts to inspire your own looks.  If you shit rainbows, I'm charmed and I want to know more.

Attractiveness.  Come on, we all know the best man-friend is an attractive one.  There are many things that draw me to a guy, his eyes, his smile, his tush, his confidence.  Same goes for a blog.  If the header is pretty, I'll read.  If the layout rocks, I'll read.  If your linky image is eye-catching, I'll click. 

A story teller.  A little bubble of pride rises up in my chest when I see my guy command a room with his story or speech.  To be a good story teller is to be able to understand how to use words to engage people.  Not everyone is good at this.  When it comes to blogs, I love those that use great metaphors, either a little whimsy or sarcasm to keep things flowing and command attention.  This is especially important for fashion bloggers.  I don't follow many, but the ones I do, tell a great story.  Not necessarily with their words, but with their images.  I know all those women are good with photoshop because there is just no way their skin is so damn flawless all the time. 

So why would anyone read my blog?  I can't say I excel at all or even one of these areas.  What I do know is I enjoy writing.  I enjoy the interaction I have with other bloggers and most importantly, just like a good man (boyfriend, you're a keeper), I love that blogging has made me a better version of myself.  I know that sounds silly, but I really think blogging has given me a chance to learn more about myself and accept who I am. 

What attracts you to a blog? Or a man for that matter?

10 comments:

Amanda said...

Such a great post! And I love that quote...I've never seen it before. I'm attracted to a blog when I know it's coming from a genuine place. We all have ups and downs and as someone who writes about both of those, I appreciate others who write exactly what they are thinking, good or bad.

C Mae said...

TWO THINGS: I love your blog design/layout! Did you make it yourself or whom may I ask is the designer!?

And where are you in Scottsdale!?! I lived off of the 101 and Shea Blvd up until 1 month ago when when bought our first home!

Blogging is a very strange but beautiful thing. Commenting is a whole other ball park. I check my stats out and on certain posts I"ll get over 1000 hits and TWO comments for the day. Isn't that crazy? But I know the other side of it too, some blogs which I LOVE, may or may not write about topics that I relate to so therefore I do or do not comment. Just my little two cents of the world! :) I'd love to chat more! Holla if you get time! You need to join the AZ blogger! I have the button on my blog!

Sunshine77 said...

You put a lot of thought into this, and it rings true. I started a blog not even knowing what good blogs are like and it took me a lot of posts to be willing to share the shitty parts, as well as the positive (that comes a little easier). I enjoy reading what you have to say. Keep it coming! -Melissa :)

Erin said...

Haha this is awesome! So so true.

Kari said...

This is so true...great post!

Nicole said...

I care about your blog because I love reading about people's lives. Keep writing and I will keep reading.

Unknown said...

Hi there! I'm a new follower from the blog hop and would love a follow back at www.sugarplumsandlollipops.blogspot.com Don't forget to follow me on twitter & Pinterest. I follow back all of my twitter & Pinterest followers :)

Jenn @ Party of One said...

So much to say to this! I absolutely LOVE what you wrote...it's all so true. I found myself nodding and thinking 'yep' to every point! I feel so cheesy when I say it but I really believe bogging has enriched my life and helped me grow as a person. As always, loving your blog and your writing and you're one ill definitly be sticking around with :)

Melissa Boo said...

This is a very well thought out post and I wish I had a good answer for you. I will say that layout/attractiveness of a blog is definitely on my list of reasons to read a blog and if the content is relevant to my life/life style. I'm not married and I don't have kids so if blog is mostly about those things, I'm less interested.

Unknown said...

LOVE this post. You gained a new follower.

hi i am barbie. i am 28. love my dogs. love my husband. i promise not in that order. or sometimes in that order. i hate condiments. i hate when i lose my sunglasses.