8.27.2013

Dear Diet Coke

Dear Diet Coke,

Please forgive me for breaking up with you via my blog, but I think we both know it's time to make the ending of our relationship official.

Like any relationship, we've had our ups and our downs. Like remember back in 2008 when we broke up for 10 days while I did the Master Cleanse?  Or in 2009 when I did the HCG diet and went without you for a month and a half?  We both know I wasn't ready to walk away then.  You've always welcomed me back into your sweet syrupy goodness with open arms.  I know, we have been going strong for some time now.  I mean, as I have gotten older, you have become my morning coffee, my lunchtime libation and my dinner companion.  Sometimes, I even sneaked a quicky between meals.  Oh the hold you had over me.

Well Diet Coke, this time I think I am finally ready to walk away.  

I've always known you were no good.  I knew that behind that sweet, bubbly exterior you were breaking me down (Tooth enamel), making me feel weak (bone density loss), not supporting my goals (and actually helping me to get fatter), putting my life at risk (for diseases and chronic illness) and beating me up every time I tried to leave you (with severely painful headaches).


25 days ago we said goodbye, and I have to tell you, I am not having a single regret.  Sure I wanted to go running back during that first week.  It would have been so much easier to just be with you than to suffer through the pain of letting you go, but I persevered.  Sure, when I saw you with my friends it was a challenge to not give in, but I didn't let you see me struggle.  And Diet coke, I am never looking back.

Without you holding me back, I already have more energy- probably because I replaced your artificial sugar and caffeine with a fruit smoothie in the morning.  My skin is happier without you too.  I've been drinking so much water to replace you that I no longer feel constantly dehydrated.  Oh and those sharp stomach pains I used to get about 30 minutes after we hung out- yeah, those are gone too! Yes, life is better without you. I'm sorry.  I can't.  Don't hate me.


I'm sorry to be so harsh Diet Coke, but you must have seen this coming.  Good luck with all your future endeavors.

1 comment:

katilda said...

I feel like I could change key words in this post and use it on a couple ex-boyfriends...though, moving to California has cleared up some/most of that junk in my life :) BONUS. Good work with your commitment on this one....soda is a hard habit to kick. I go through phases with my DP love. BE STRONG!