8.06.2013

Why Being Single Doesn't Suck

Last night I pulled back the covers on my pretty Anthropologie bedding, situated all six pillows just the way I like them and found that sweet spot right in the center of the bed.  I proceeded to stretch my legs to opposite sides of the mattress and began to drift off to sleep to the lightly playing mix on my Ipod when something occurred to me.  I couldn't do this if I weren't single.

If I were married, or in the serious relationship that my heart longs for, I would probably have to share my bed.  I would probably have to give up at least 2 pillows, if not more. I might have to find gender neutral bedding.  And there is always the chance that my mate would need to sleep in silence.  Gasp!

This got me thinking.  There are a lot of reasons that being single doesn't suck. So I decided to make a list of all the reasons being single doesn't suck.  I figured there are probably some other lovely single ladies out there that could use the reminder too!

WHY BEING SINGLE DOESN'T SUCK



1. You get the whole bed to yourself!  Want a girly comforter?  Have it!  Want to sprawl out like Rose on top of that floating wood in the middle of the Atlantic, leaving "no room left" for anyone else?  Go for it!

2. Your razors will last longer. You don't have to worry about brushing your prickly stems up against your love.  In fact, in the winter, you might as well give your razor a little vacation!  Which means you can sleep in 5 more minutes since you won't need any extra time in the shower. Win!


3. No inflated expectations on Valentine's Day or any special day for that matter. A bottle of wine and a chick flick movie marathon always lives up to my expectations.

4.  You can eat whenever and whatever you want.  Want to eat lucky charms in bed for fourth meal at 10 PM?  Go for it!  Want to eat Ramen noodles for breakfast?  Enjoy to your chicken flavor loving hearts desire!  There is no one else to feed or to judge you!

Painting and photo by moi

5.  You have more time for yourself.  That doesn't mean you should fill that time with sitting on the couch eating ice cream feeling sorry for your single self.  Do the things you love.  Read a good book, join a sports team, a workout class or a cooking class. Paint a picture!  At some point your life will revolve around the family you've built, but right now it revolves around you.  Enjoy that!

See more of my Pinterest wedding HERE

6.  Your Pinterest wedding is still possible.  Trust me when I tell you that it's a little depressing when you realize your wedding day is over. It's a day you have probably thought about your whole life.  Pinterest only perpetuated the problem.  But right now, while your single, all those options for name cards, color combinations, flower arrangements and tablescapes are still possible.

7. Watching football on Sunday is an option, not an expectation.  Don't get me wrong, I like a good game as much as the next girl, but do I like being glued to a couch or a bar stool all day, EVERY Sunday?  No.  I have always felt that Sundays are for adventures.  There are few adventures that happen in your living room or the closest sports bar.

8.  No boys in the bathroom.  Again, I happen to really like my black and white vintage Hollywood inspired bathroom.  I like that the toilet seat is always down and there is never the lingering aroma of last nights Mexican dinner.  I like that I don't find tiny little beard hairs covering my sink. I like that there are no unexplained stains on my crisp white towels.  And my decorative towels are never used to dry someone hands!


9. Control of the remote.  Want to watch The Wedding Date for the 1,000th time?  Who can resist Dermot and Debra anyway.  Want to keep up with the Kardashians?  Go for it!  Are Bravo, E! and Lifetime your go-to channels for lazy afternoons?   Immediately tune into Sex and the City even though you have seen every single episode enough to quote?  Go ahead and get "Carried"  away! I try to keep my reality TV addiction at bay when I'm in a relationship, but single- I can give you a recap on all the Housewives drama.


10.  Your lobster is still out there.  My person is still out there and darn-it, that's exciting! I get to hope for, pray for and dream about Mr. Right.  My stomach gets to jump a little every time someone has potential.  I get to be in the giddy, "just started dating" phase again. Single isn't a life sentence.  I can't stand it when people say "all the good ones are taken", because if all the good ones are taken, what does that say about me?

So sure, we all want to find the one, but maybe we should stop and consider that we are already spending our lives with someone pretty awesome- Ourselves!  Enjoy it.


3 comments:

katilda said...

Wooooohoo! Gosh i love this! And, i think i have most of those thoughts on the regular. I eat in my bed all the time. I eat when I want, what I want. I mean, family is a good goal but there's no sense wallowing through all the perks in the meantime.

Lauren // Pink on the Cheek said...

hehehehe, honestly i wish i could get a girly comforter. before ernie i was all shabby chic and loved it. now it's all "gender neutral"!!

allison said...

I love this list and miss these things so much!