9.16.2013

When Songs Say It For You

Do you ever feel like the right song can speak for you?  Or that the perfect lyrics, allow you to understand your feelings more clearly?  I get like that sometimes, but not usually from songs from Broadway musicals.

In college I was in a sorority.  At the end of four years, as we were about to graduate, we had a tradition called senior songs.  Each senior would choose a song that wrapped up what their time in Tri Delta meant to them.  Then the rest of the chapter would guess who's song was who's.  It was never hard to guess because usually the girl who's song it was, was elegantly shedding a single tear or, if they were like me, sobbing like a baby.

"It well may be, that we will never meet again in this lifetime, so let me say before we part.  So much of me is made of what I learned from you.  You'll be with me like a hand print on my heart. And now whatever way our stories end,  I know you have rewritten mine by being my friend... Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but because I knew you, I have been changed for good."  

These were the words that so perfectly described those four years for me.  Wicked, still one of my favorite plays, gave me the words I couldn't give myself.

Today I was running. Running with a strange sense of determination.  Something within me has been different lately.   And once again Wicked gave me the words I needed.


"Something has changed within me. Something is not the same.  I'm through with playing by the rules of someone else's game. Too late for second guessing. Too late to go back to sleep. It's time to trust my instincts, close my eyes and leap.  It's time I try defying gravity...

I'm through accepting limits cause someone says they're so.  Some things I can not change, but till I try I'll never know."

I know I am not green or a witch, but for whatever reason my stride got a little faster while I was defying my own gravity.  Defying the invisible (but in many ways visible) weight that has held me back from reaching my health and fitness goals.  Defying that voice in my head that has so many times before told me I couldn't do it, or I wasn't good enough.  My stride got faster, a smile spread across my face and if I hadn't been surrounded by handsome gym goers, I probably would have broken out into song with Idena Menzel.

Defy your personal gravity.  Challenge yourself.  Do the things you never dreamed you could do! (And if you need a song to run to, I recommend Defying Gravity from the Wicked soundtrack.)


No comments: