10.17.2013

See You On The Other Side Of The Sunrise, The Tequila Sunrise

About this time last year, you may have read this post about a beloved NAU tradition called Tequila Sunrise. Last year, I was pretty bummed to not be joining my fellow alumni for the shenanigans that were about to take place, but not this year.  My bags are packed, my legs are shaved and I am off to Flagstaff for arguably the best weekend of the year!

For those of you that don't know, Tequila Sunrise is a magical weekend in Flagstaff, Arizona where the bars open at 6AM and no matter your age, you become 21 again.  Somehow the disgustingly crowded bar, sticky floors and drink spilling doesn't bother you because everywhere you go you run into a familiar face from your college years.  You trade you taste for fine wine in for cheap mixed drinks and keg stands. Your fear of hangovers vanishes as you shot gun beers, take shot-ski's and drink to your hearts content. Once you've had your fill of the bars or lose your debit card, you hop a ride to the dome where the party continues at tailgating.  Once all the alcohol in the parking lot is consumed, you sneak back for a nap before finishing the evening at the bars. Then Sunday morning comes, and just like Cinderella you've lost a shoe (and probably some of your dignity) and the magic is gone.  But never fear, because Tequila Sunrise will be waiting for your return the following October.

In honor of my 4th Tequila Sunrise, I thought I would share some memories from the past.

In 2008, I had been out of school for a little over a year.  It was so important to attend Tequila Sunrise, that we went to a friends wedding and then drove up the hill to Flagstaff at 4AM.  That is dedication to early morning drinking.

 In 2009, again there was some poorly planned commitment, so we drove up in the morning. I must not have partied that hard this year, because I look pretty sober in these.  Although, I don't remember much about this year... hmm.

In 2011, we did Tequila Sunrise right.  We drove up Friday night and got a hotel.  This was the first and epic year of a little pre-party (yes, we have a pre-party for morning drinking.  Don't judge.  You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning, right?) we call Kegs and Eggs. This particular year, I wore my party pants!  I must have lost said party pants right before the game though, because as you can see, I thought the middle of a football game, in the stadium, was a good time for a nap.  Clearly my mistake was going to the game.

 So what does 2013 hold?  Only time will tell.  I plan on making this the best Tequila Sunrise yet.  I've been training hydrating for weeks in preparation.  My party pants and my drunk coat are packed and I'll see you on the other side of the Tequila Sunrise!


No comments: