11.15.2013

It Finally Happened

It finally happened, the day I knew was coming from the moment I decided to document my thoughts publicly- an anonymous negative comment.

It's a topic of conversation within blogging circles.  Everyone has different ways of dealing with it and today I had to decide how I was going to deal with it.

First off, I'm not going to apologize for my blog, it's contents, my thoughts, or being honest.  I've found that writing, both this blog and in general allows me to work things out and work on myself.  I have no doubt that my writing can easily come across as self involved for this reason.  I've also found that reading posts by my fellow blogger helps me to understand humanity, validate my feelings or remind me that I am blessed.  I have gotten so much from reading the stories and thoughts on other peoples hearts that I feel a responsibility to give back to a community that gives so much to me.

Second, I blog about my weight loss because it is something that has been hard for me.  It's something that is hard for a lot of people and again, I have found motivation, strength and determination from others who have shared their stories.  I don't want sympathy.  I did this to myself.  And now I am fixing it.  If I help get a few other people off the couch- Awesome.  If encouragement from others helps get me to the gym on a hard day, I'm not complaining either.

Lastly, everyone has a right to their own opinions and like my comment section says, "I like other people's thoughts".  I appreciate gaining perspective.  However, if my posts are an assault on your eyes, by all means, don't read them.  Please spend your time putting good out into the world instead.


5 comments:

Molly F said...

What a way to act with grace, Ms. Ashley! And I could not agree more - spend your time putting god out into the world instead. That's what you are doing - both in the real and virtual world! XO

McKay said...

I wouldn't have even dignified that coward with a response. You're a stronger person than I am.

It's easy to hide behind an anonymous, hateful comment but that person brought absolutely nothing of substance to the table. And, at the end of the day, is little more than a coward with an ugly heart.

You're on a journey of self-discovery and betterment. You're focused on positivity and growth. Maybe some people could learn a thing or two from that perspective. I'm proud to be on the supporter side of your endeavors. You rock, Ashley. Big huggz!

Meg Brink said...

I sadly had to deal with this for the first time this week as well! You know, at first I was pissed and took to my blog to defend myself, because that person was attacking my family (who does that?!). But, at the end of the day, we shouldn't let one jealous, hateful, or immature person ruin the one really good thing we have-our blog! I have met so many amazing women through this outlet and I love the support we can all give each other.

To the anonymous jack #*# who felt the need to comment something negative, shame on you. The world needs more positive people in it. It's honestly very sad that anyone takes the time to comment trying to bring about harsh feelings, let alone doing it anonymously. How cowardly is that?

Anyway, we have your back girl!

Unknown said...

Awe! You have such grace ;) thanks for following me on insta! Following ya back!
Way to hold your head high and keep on going girl! There's way more good in this blog life than negative luckily!

xoxo- Kaara

Unknown said...

Hey there! You seem fantastic. I too write about my weight loss. I use my blog to talk about the things that I love and also things that I need to work on and work through. Keep writing! xoxo *erica*