12.30.2013

Reflecting: 13 Things I Learned In 2013

Last year, I wrote this post about 12 things I learned in 2012, so I figured, why not give it another go with 13 things I learned in 2013!

1. You have to decide what you want out of life.  For too long I had just been floating along without a plan.  In 2013, I made decisions and now I know where I am going.  I still don't have a perfect road map, but at least I am headed in the right direction.



2. Complaints get you nowhere.  The grass will always be greener when you water it.  Put a little work into things and your side of the fence can look as lovely as you like.

3.  It's not the places that make a life, it's the people.  I had to leave everything behind to know what I was missing and appreciate it enough to come back.

4. Take risks.  I was in protection mode for too long, playing it safe is boring.  In this moment, you are the oldest you've ever been and the youngest you'll ever be- enjoy that!



5.  "Life Should be lived passionately, otherwise you are playing another persons game."  This quote from Lewis Howes really resonated with me.

6. Nothing good happens after 4 or more drinks.  Maybe in 2014 I will give myself a 3 drink max- maybe not.

7. If you're bored then you're boring.  You'd think I would have learned that years ago from Harvey Danger.  There is so much to experience in this life, if you even feel the urge to say, "I'm bored", get up and go do something- anything.



8. Be yourself.  It's not always easy, but wouldn't you rather know people like you for who you are, rather than who you try to be.  It's okay to be flawed, we all are- even the people who give you Facebook envy. Stop competing and just do you!

9. I'm always going to be a little bit awkward.  I might as well own it.

10.  Fuel your body, don't feed your emotions.  The last third of the year has really been about me learning how to balance myself- mentally, physically and spiritually.  It's not easy, but when I focus on giving my body the best fuel it can get, I just feel better all around.

11.  There is nothing more valuable than time.  Unfortunately, I'm guilty of not always paying very much attention to how I spend it.



12.  Understand that everything is relative.  My problems may not be your problems,  my joys might not be your joys, but they are both equally significant.

13. Love at some point gets messy, but that's how you know its really love.  The most wonderful displays of love I have seen this year don't resemble a fairy tale at all.

What did you learn in 2013?  Pretty please share your new wisdom with me!


No comments: