6.04.2013

A Bunch Of Cobras In The Gym

For years I believed that yoga wasn't my thing. I preferred high impact, high energy workouts, like kickboxing, boot camp classes or circuit training. Then one day, in an effort to regain some of the flexibility lost after years without dance, I found myself rolling out a mat in my first yoga class.  I was prepared to deal with the potential ohm-ing, the gongs, the low impact, the quiet.  To my surprise, by the end of the first hour, I was drenched in sweat, felt intense muscle burn in places I had never felt before and felt completely relaxed and ready to take on the day.
Source
I was hooked.  Fortunately, I found 3 instructors at my gym that I really enjoyed taking classes with.  I set a schedule for myself and for the next six months I went to yoga 3-5 times a week.  I watched as my muscles leaned out and my midsection whittled away.

Not only was I pleased with the physical effects I was seeing,  but I was learning how to calm my mind (which was particularly beneficial because I was going through my divorce), learning how to quiet my spirit and reminded how to give gratitude for the good things in my life.
Source
Then life happened.  I got busy.  I stopped going to yoga regularly.  My instructors left my gym and I didn't love the new ones.  I tried Bikram (hot) yoga and hated it. Time passed and my class attendance got fewer and farther between.  As I often do, I forgot to make my health a priority.

Then I moved to California.  I wanted to get back to yoga and reap the benefits of a consistent yoga practice, so my search for the right instructor began.

Finding the right yoga class is kind of like finding the right church. Just like churches there are several types to choose from.

Catholic, Mormon, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Baptist, Gospel...
Bikram, Hatha, Vinyasa, Power, Ashtanga, Iyengar...

Also just like church, you get the most out of it if you truly enjoy the pastor and fellow parishioners or in yoga's case instructor and fellow yogis.

For me, I can't handle too much ohm-ing, or a lot of bells and whistles (incessant gonging).  I also prefer not to be the oldest or youngest in the room.

In the 9 months I have been in California, I haven't been able to find the right instructor...until.  Finally on Sunday I found a class that left me feeling strong, inspired, calm, joyous and eager to go again.
Source
Its so important to find a workout that you enjoy because nothing is harder than getting out of bed to go do something that doesn't make you happy.  I am looking forward to renewing my yoga practice and hopefully I will have some great physical benefits to share over the coming months.

What is your go to workout?  Please share!

1 comment:

Dinah Gacon said...

I have always wanted to try yoga on a regular bases. I tried hot yoga once and it just wasn't for me. I usually always love to do high impact workouts but I have alot of anxiety so I think yoga would be a great benefit. So happy you had a great experience at your last class, that's awesome!

xo Dinah @ Sunshine super glam