12.26.2012

The 12 Things I Learned in 2012

I am a bit of a thief today.  I was reading Jenn's post from Party of One and and inspiration caught me.  So thanks for the inspiration love!  Without further adieu  here is my list of the 12 most important things I learned in 2012.
1.  Don't be afraid to be who you are.  I have spent a lot of my life trying to fit into someone elses version of me.  In 2012 I learned that when I stop worrying about what other people think of me, I think a lot more of myself.  Blogging has been a big part of me finding my true voice.  So thanks to all of you who've been listening!

2.  Good things come to those that don't force them. If you want something bad enough, don't settle until you get it.  Don't take good enough when patience will bring you perfect.  This can apply to so many aspects of life and for me it was my career.  

3. Embrace change.  Fighting it will only make you more unhappy than the change itself.  Change means growth and growth means strength.  
4. Identify your happy place and make it part of your routine to be there.  For me it is a particular beach.  I try to go at least once a week and appreciate the splendor that is the earth.  

5.  If it doesn't expire within the next 3 weeks, it is probably not that good for you.  Frozen foods aside, if it could survive an apocalypse  it's not going to be easy for your body to digest and it's going to ferment in your intestines... just say no to processed foods (Self, I am talking to you!)
I'm a little hair obsessed... and went back to my roots.
6. Invest in multiple types of shampoo and conditioner.  Use one of the more expensive brands like Kerestase at least 1-2 times a week.  It'll make a difference and it won't kill your bank account. Use something cheaper in between to save money. (I recommend Mane and Tail.  It keeps hair healthy and shiny!)

7. He's just not that into you.  No I didn't read the book, but I have come to realize looking at both my relationship and the relationships of my friends, both successful and unsuccessful, if he wants to see you, he will find a way.  If he wants to talk to you, he will find a way.  And if he wants you, he will show you.  
8.  You are in control of your own destiny.  While I am a strong believer that everything happens for a reason, I also think you have to be the one driving the change.  Maybe that means prayer, maybe that means envisioning the things you want, maybe it means not taking no for an answer.  Just remember you are in the drivers seat!

9. Don't be afraid to be good at what you do.  Whatever it is, own it.  Celebrate you successes and be confident in your work.

10.  Accept failure and mistakes.  Fail informatively.  Don't place blame.  Accepting fault and coming up with a solution to the problem is sometimes more impressive than if you had succeeded in the first place.  A person that can claim their failures along with their successes can learn from them.

11.  Make time for those that matter.  I love to catch up with friends and family when I am stuck in traffic.  It makes the time go by faster and it makes me less angry at the asshole that just cut me off.  I think I have more quality talks with those I care about now that I live in another state.  

This little boy is in the final stages of cystic fibrosis and wanted to hold a record for number of Christmas cards received 
12. Be kind.  It's easy to forget to be kind when life gets hectic, but random acts of kindness are so heartwarming.  It makes my day so much better when I do something unexpected for someone else.  I can live off the high for the rest of the day.  

What are some things 2012 taught you?





11 comments:

Jenn @ Party of One said...

YAY YAY YAY! I'm so glad that you "stole" this from me :) Oh, how I wish you weren't miles and miles away. I think that we both learned SO MUCH about ourselves- and funnily enough many of the same things- that we could easily sit and talk this over while drinking wine for a long, long time.

Everything I read on your list I kept thinking- I could have said that, too! I think that too! Specifically....don't be afraid to be good at what you do, accept failures and be kind.

I think great things are in store for us for 2013, my friend! I really,really do! It was a tough year (on us both!) but it seems like we've grown and we are coming out stronger.

XOXOXO so glad you wrote this post!

Jessica said...

I found you from the Followers to Friends link-up! I'm glad I did. :)

In 2012 I've learned that it's important to tell the ones you love that you love them! We may not get another chance.

http://wonderwhatsnextblog.blogspot.com

Jessie Jones said...

Love this! Thanks for sharing. No. 5 is one I really need to remind myself of!

Jess Is Moore said...

Love this! My #1 would be do for others! New follower from www.bloggingwhilesingle.com. Feel free to come check it out.

Bailey said...

Great post! I embracing change has been something I was forced to do the past year, and in doing so did learn a few things about not only myself, but how amazing the people in my life are.

Found you in the Followers to Friends hop :D

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm a new follower from the Followers to Friends Hop. Love your blog! :)

Laura
http://casetadepaper.blogspot.com.es/

Courtney Cakes said...

Love this post.
#11 is probably my #1.

XO.

Anonymous said...

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought
this post was great. I don't know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you aren't already ;
) Cheers!
Feel free to surf my blog post : FinderHostel.com

Unknown said...

Love everything about this post. Those 12 things are so true!!

WhatJeanLikes said...

All 12 statements are so true... Isn't it nice to be able to reflect on a year past and know all the things you've learned so you can grwo from it?! :)

If you have time, we'd love to have you come and link up to the Aloha Friday Blog Hop if you haven't already! (Thank you so very much if you've already linked up, I truly appreciate it!!) I'm following you BTW :)

Come and link up, enter the giveaway (if you haven't yet) and celebrate the coming weekend with us!

Aloha,

Jean {What Jean Likes}

ty said...

I loved this. It's so sweet of you to send the card to the little boy with CF. Blond John has CF, so naturally, I'm crying about it :)

Might have to steal this!!