12.14.2012

Where can we feel safe?

My worst memory from elementary school was stapling my hand to a bulletin board while helping to build a Thanksgiving turkey. In general, all of my memories from elementary school are happy, joyous and fun. School, specifically elementary school, shouldn’t be anything less. Being a child shouldn’t include a fear of going to school.

Where can we feel safe?
This year, we learned we can’t feel safe in a movie theater. We can’t feel safe in a mall. And today we are reminded that our children aren’t even safe at school. So I ask again, where can we feel safe?

Do we let evil win and live in constant fear, or do we fight back? If we choose to fight, what do we do? What is the answer? Is the answer in gun control? Is the answer in behavioral healthcare? Is the answer in public safety measures? I’ll be honest; I don’t think there is an answer.

I’m a person that has a relationship with God, but doesn’t necessarily tie that relationship with a specific religion or church. But today, I have an overwhelming desire to go to church and pray. Pray for the victims and their families. Pray for the other children at Sandy Hook Elementary School that will forever have images from today burned into their minds. Pray for the state of humanity. Pray that these tragic events end.

Today, I want to hug my brothers and sisters a little bit tighter. Today I wonder what things will be like when I bring children into the world. What about my children’s children? Today, my heart breaks for so many.

3 comments:

Jessie Jones said...

It's been a heartbreaking week. I'm so grateful for faith, and a Lord who's bigger than it all.

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

I can't even talk about this, I just start crying when I think about it all. I love the part about not letting evil win, we need to focus on the love in our lives and others.

Lindsay said...

Couldn't have said this better myself. It is such a sad tradegy, I pray for the families that lost their little kids....

So so sad. :( My heart breaks for them and everyone in that community.