2.04.2013

Delightfully Delectable: Bacon Mac & Cheese Bites

I got invited to a Super Bowl pot luck yesterday and I wanted to bring something easy to make, that everyone would enjoy.  In years past, I have made bacon wrapped shrimp, but the problem is you have to cook them on location and I usually set off a fire alarm from broiling the the little suckers.  That's always been okay at a boyfriends house or my best friends' but this year I didn't know my party planners as well.

This year I wanted something that could be served warm or cold, went well with the other Super Bowl food groups (chips, dips, things made in a crock pot, things made on a grill, beer), and was considered a comfort food.  I found a recipe for Mac and Cheese Bites and made some of my own additions!
Serves 12
  • 6 Strips of Bacon (or 8 if you like to eat a couple pieces while you cook like me.
  • 2 Cups Elbow Macaroni (although you could probably get creative and choose your favorite pasta)
  • 1/2 Cup seasoned breadcrumbs
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1 1/2 Cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
  • 1 1/2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
  • One Egg (whipped)
  • 1 Cup Milk
  • 1 Tablespoon Butter 


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (Fahrenheit) 
  2. Cook your bacon.  When it's to your desired level of crispiness, set it aside.
  3. Grease your cupcake tins.
  4. Bring a pot of water to a boil.  Sprinkle in some salt.  Add macaroni and let boil for 8 minutes.  It should be a little less soft then if you were ready to serve it.  Drain noodles and place back into pot.
  5. Add butter and egg to the pot and allow butter to melt while coating noodles.  Do a solid amount of mixing here.  Add milk and mix thoroughly. 
  6. Add bacon and both cheeses and mix while cheese melts.  A lot of cheese gets stuck to the spoon, don't let it just hang out there!  Mix it in with the rest!
  7. Spoon mixture into cupcake tins.  I had some extra, so i put it in a glass dish and stuck it in the oven too... Hello lunch!
  8. Mix together breadcrumbs, salt and olive oil.  Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over top. 
  9. Put those little babies in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the tops become a lovely golden brown.
  10. Let them set for 5-10 minutes before taking them out the tins.  This allows the cheese to really set and hold the bites together.  I found that using a fork was the easiest way to pop them out.  
  11. Enjoy!


Into the tins. Add your breadcrumbs. Ta-Da!


MMM MMM MMM MMM MMM!!!!  These bites were a BIG hit!

I always think things like this look really impressive, even if they are easy to make!  Try them out as an appetizer or a side dish!

2 comments:

Jillian Carreira said...

Hi I am a new follower and really like this post. I think it is a great recipe to do with the kids and it will be easy for them to eat as well. Thanks for sharing.
I would love for you to follow along.
Jillian
http://puzzlemecomplete.blogspot.com/

Tiffany said...

These look amazing!!

~Tiffany