8.20.2013

28 Things I've Learned in 28 years

Today, I turned 28.

Last year, I made a list of all the things I wanted to accomplish before another year passed- it went okay.  The problem is that it's hard to know what life is going to throw at you, so instead of following my list, I went off the cuff and just did things I wanted to do, in the moment.  This year, I decided to try something different.  

So instead, today I thought I might share 28 things I have learned over the last 28 years- after writing them all down, I feel pretty wise- wise like a 28 year old!

*****

Perception really is everything.  You are the only person that can decide how you are going to take the good and the bad. Some times the only way to recover is to adjust your view.



Stepping outside your comfort zone is the fastest way to learn and grow.  Challenge yourself to embrace the uncomfortable.

Failure isn't a bad thing.  If you've never failed at anything, chances are you've never tried something new.  Failure typically paves the path for some of the greatest successes.

Change is constant, but necessary.  Can you even imagine how boring life would be if everything always stayed the same.

Every day is a new day and each new day is a chance to be whoever you want to be. Be awesome.

No matter what, no matter how bad you are hurting, life moves on.


Stop comparing yourself to others.  Comparison is the thief of joy.  Worry instead about being better than the person you were yesterday.

Don't judge anyone else for their choices.  Their path has been different than yours and just as significant.

Make time for yourself.  It's okay to say no to happy hour with friends to drink a glass of wine alone in your bath tub.

Home knows no zip code.  Home is a feeling that rests deep down in your soul.

Places can make life beautiful, but people make life fun.


Be where you are.  Don't spend your days wishing to be somewhere else physically or metaphorically, because chances are you're missing out on some pretty great things happening right now.

You can't please everyone all the time.  You'll kill yourself trying.

Tomorrow is not promised to anyone and someday isn't a day of the week.  Do the things you want now and never forget to say I love you.


Don't pursue happiness, revel in it.

Invest in nice undergarments.  I always feel my best in a great bra and cute undies.

Perfection doesn't exist.  Instead, hold yourself to a standard of grace.

Document your life.  In pictures, in words, in bar napkin notes- whatever.  Give yourself something to look back on and smile about.

Never forget how blessed you are.  There will always be someone far more worse off than you.  Be grateful for the life you were given.

It's never a good idea to max out your credit card... never.


Nothing good happens after 2 AM... and if it does, you probably won't remember it the next day.

It's never too late to start over or change direction.  Seek out and follow your passion.

Let your past make you better, not bitter.  Once you finish a not particularly great chapter in your life, don't keep re-reading it for everyone.



Be authentic in everything you say and do, it's the easiest way to live without regrets.

Don't give up on your dreams.  Work hard and have patience.  Sometimes life needs time to get it's shit together.

Forgive people, but more importantly learn how to forgive yourself.

You don't have to "have it all" to be happy.  It's okay to be happy with just having part of it.

Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect- always.
*****

There you have it 28 years of wisdom.  As a special birthday gift for me, please share some of you wisdom with me!

Now I have a birthday to celebrate!




2 comments:

Lauren said...

this. well done.

katilda said...

I looooove this post. Get outside my comfort zone. Home knows know zip code. Nothing good happens after.... (checks clock) ....I have to finish applying to some jobs in the next hour before I become a rulebreaker.