5.31.2012

Pacific Punched Me in the Face

Today I am going to share with you another Ashley moment.
You may have noticed that I have not posted in like a week.  Well, that is because my plans to post about my vacation to the beach were foiled when the Pacific Ocean punched me in the face. 

My friend Lauren and I were very excited for a long weekend spent in and around Newport Beach with friends.  So excited in fact, that after spending a few hours out at the bars, we wanted to say hello to the Pacific. Tip: you know how they say nothing good ever happens after 2AM?  The saying is especially true at the beach.

I took off my four-inch heels and pulled up my jeans ever so slightly. (I'm pretty happy that I took off my heels, because I had had a little a lot to drink.)  I ran excitedly towards the ocean, taking absolutely no note of how high the water would come.  I was taking it all in; the sand beneath my toes, the salty sea air, the water... the water coming in quickly and soaking me up to the knee, the lack of balance. "Stop running Ashley", I remember thinking (yes, I commonly talk to myself in the third person), but the brakes didn't turn on fast enough.  Then, before I knew what had happened, I had face-planted into the Pacific Ocean and like a stylish submarine, was completely submerged. My blazer will never be the same.   Oh and around my Coach wristlet that once dangled freely from my wrist, was now floating...containing my Iphone.

I sprung from the water unfazed and made my way back up to the beach soaked, covered in sand and smiling.  My friends were concerned, "Are you okay?" they asked.
"Yep, I'm fine" I chirped. 
"What about your phone?" the look of concern flooding their faces (much like the sea water was flooding the inner workings of my precious Iphone)
"It's right here... Oh crap. We need to put in rice."


Things get a little fuzzy from there (hey it was vacation), but the next morning, I found a bowl of rice on the counter.  I dug in and did a silent prayer that my phone would turn on.  I pressed the button with optimism.  Nothing.  I buried it in the rice again convinced my Iphone was merely in a phone coma and it would be revived after a little more time on rice-support. 

Sadly, neither my song (My Iphone just fell in the ocean.  My Iphone just fell in the sea.  My Iphone just fell in the ocean.  Rice bring back my Iphone to me.  Catchy huh?) or my continued optimism brought my Iphone back to life and by the end of the weekend, I had to take it off rice-support and face facts. 

The point of this story is that I couldn't take all the pictures I wanted to blog about.  So here is my trip in minimal pictures stolen from friends. 

Don't worry, I got a new Iphone and all is well in the world again.  I'm not holding a grudge against the Pacific Ocean that totally punched me in the face or the alcohol tolerance that is much lower than I remembered. 

3 comments:

Courtney Cakes said...

LMAO... Rice support...

Anonymous said...

Cracking up at rice support! Ohhh A Allan, sorry about your phone!!!

Katie said...

hahaha hey girl! I've totally done the phone in rice thing. Has never worked for me but for others it has! (figures) happy weekend!